Sunday, September 30, 2007

Yikes!

Schmidt Told Gossip His Suicide Plans

"Sultan of Sleaze" David Schmidt, who was found dead of an apparent suicide on Friday, had planned for at least two weeks to kill himself -- and confided in a Daily News gossip columnist about his deadly depression.

George Rush, one half of gossip columnist duo Rush & Molloy, said that Schmidt, who was most recently in the news for attempting to extort money from Tom Cruise, called him two weeks ago and told him of another suicide attempt.

"I did something really stupid. I put a belt around my neck in the shower. Fortunately, it didn't work," said Schmidt over the phone.

Rush says he encouraged Schmidt to get help. "He was phoning me every other day. I said, 'You've got to get yourself on some medication. He said he was on some, but it just didn't work for very long.

No comments: